Monday, February 7, 2011

hi all

so this is my first post. I plan to do a couple of things with this blog. First and foremost I hope to teach those who are new to feminism a couple of things. I really want other people to understand that feminism isn't about manhating or necessarily about being a butch lesbian with natural body hair (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with those choices either and if you fall into any one of those three categories I welcome you here) Which leads me to my first point. I am a feminist who believes in the ideas of kyriarchy. That means that there is an interaction between all kinds of oppression and that all marginalized people also have some form of privilege that people in other marginalized groups don't have. For example, I am a young white conventionally attractive thin cissexual able bodied woman. That means that while I suffer the marginalization all women do in my society from the patriarchy, I have no clue what it really feels like to be a WOC to be differently abled, to be a member of FABGLITTER (This stands for fetish, asexual, bisexual, gay, lesbian, intersex, transgender, transsexual, engendering revolution and is a more inclusive version of LGBT) (although I do upon occasion technically fall into the first category and I plan to do a detailed post about that shortly) but because of that I do not try and tell those people what they should or should not feel. I'm not here to play the oppression olympics and anyone else doing that in this space will be banned. Which leads me to my second point. This is a safe space. As allies and advocates we have a responsibility to not make life harder for people who have suffered through trauma. I am a rape survivor, a domestic violence survivor, and a still struggle with an eating disorder related to those two things. Other people have various forms of mental conditions, and some people are very sensitive to things such as violence. They have just as much right to be reading this blog as you do and therefore everyone will remain civil and understanding to one another. If you're going to talk about your traumatic experiences use a trigger warning. If what you are talking about invokes aspect of the kyriarchy please do the same thing. We'll all mess up from time to time and that is okay too. If someone says things that are harmful to you please call them out on it and make me aware of it so that I can delete the comment if necessary, ban the user if applicable, or add a trigger warning to it so that others know to proceed with caution. The second thing that I plan on doing here is talk about and discuss the cultural implications of the things the media, pop culture, and the government does that affects our lives and citizens. I hope you all enjoy reading my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment